Portland, Oregon – May 31st and June 1st, 2014
Do you dream about building a tiny house on wheels, designed just for you? Do you picture it in your backyard, or nested into a community of sorts, or resting out in the country where you can finally hear yourself think? Then this workshop is for you!
Our 2-day Tiny House Basics Workshop is comprehensive but entry-level, introducing you to the unique design and building principles that apply to a house. We’ll address:
- Case studies of tiny houses and pocket neighborhoods
- Cultivating home—the place and the people who make community.
- Navigating codes, insurance, and regulations.
- Tiny house building basics, including how to properly anchor a stick-built structure to a trailer.
- Tiny house building science, including moisture control, ventilation, heating, and cooling.
- Tiny house systems, including electrical, gas, and water systems.
The workshop includes both classroom-style learning and the chance to explore a real tiny house. The topics we discuss are brought to life with a tour of pocket community.
Dee Williams demonstrating how a well-built tiny house survives a highway journey
This workshop will leave you confident and empowered, holding the three things you need most to start you out on your path toward tiny:
- A sound understanding of the considerations for designing and building a tiny house
- A variety of options and considerations for the systems you might want to include in your little home
- An understanding of how to connect with resources and get help with your project
- A connection to other like-minded tiny house enthusiasts, proving once and for all that you are not alone!
You will receive a printed copy of Go House Go and many, many other resources you need to build your tiny house to fit you like glove. Build it right the first time, and learn from a community of other tiny house enthusiasts. One lucky participant will win a free set of PAD plans of their choice, and ALL participants will receive a discount code good for 30% off of PAD’s Sweet Pea Tiny House Plans or Shelter Wise’s Miter Box Tiny House Plans!
Tiny House Basics: Day One Only:
While we strongly recommend attending for the whole weekend, limited registrations are available to attend for Day One only. Day One of Tiny House Basics focuses on the house itself, while Day Two covers connecting the house to infrastructure, utilities and communities, as well as site tours of tiny houses. Day One content includes:
- Trailer to house connections
- Structural integrity and engineering
- Moisture control and ventilation
- Systems overview
What Are PAD Workshops Like?
This workshop was very informative. I was excited about tiny houses before I came, but the class pushed me over the fence. I am decidedly building one of these! – Willie Dean, Nov 10, 2012
It was great to meet like-minded people, all with a huge base of knowledge. Dee is a great speaker, she was wonderful at managing the talk, working the room and encouraging discussion.
Great workshop to help you get ‘rolling’ on your tiny house build…resources…people. Nice to see so many people just like me!
By the time the day was over, I had learned about the tools I would need, gained a better understanding of the process, understood what it feels like to work on a project like this, and learned about some of the challenges and methods of dealing with them.
The workshop totally increased my confidence that this is an achievable vision.