The Big Tiny is the story of how one woman built her own house with her own two hands - all 84 square feet of it - and discovered that the important stuff in life isn't stuff.
"Admitting that I am 'happy enough' makes me wonder if I'm falling short of my potential as a middle-class American; like I should want more out of life than this tiny house and the backyard, and the way it feels to sit on the porch and watch the sun come up...
But the fact are the facts: I found a certain bigness in my little house--a sense of largeness, freedom, and happiness that comes when you see there's no place else you'd rather be." - Dee Williams
Praise for The Big Tiny
Get The Big Tiny Now!
- The New York Times: Square Feet: 84. Possessions: 305.
- CBS This Morning: Inside The Tiny House Movement (Video)
- Los Angeles Times: Dee Williams Downsizes to a Tiny House, Opens to a Bigger World
- Yahoo.com: One Woman's Radically Simplified "Built-it-myself" Life
- Houzz.com: Life Lessons From 10 Years of Living in 84 Square Feet
- Inhabitat.com: Tiny House Pioneer Dee Williams Discusses Living Large...
- The Weather Channel: Life in a Tiny House (Video)
- Multnomah County Library: Guest Reader Dee Williams and the Seven Books She Makes Space For in Her Tiny House
- Yes! Magazine: After Landing Herself in ICU, This Woman Changed Her Lifestyle, and Built a Tiny House
- Slate.com: What It's Like To Live In An 84-Square Foot House
About Author Dee Williams
Dee Williams built and moved into her first little house in 2004, and since then over 20 million people have toured it virtually to learn more about the house and her life. Dee founded Portland Alternative Dwellings, or PAD, to help others learn to build homes that serve their lives, instead of the other way around. 2014's The Big Tiny is her first book. To schedule a reading from The Big Tiny, contact Brian Ulicky at brian.ulicky [at] us.penguingroup.com.
Dee's tiny house journey didn't end with The Big Tiny. In 2016, she gave her original "Kozy Kabin" Tiny House to her nephew, and moved...into an even smaller tiny house. You can keep following Dee's story, writing, and evolving reflections on life and home.
Dee Williams is a compelling, authentic speaker with a unique and moving story to tell. Her choice to live in a little house in the backyard speaks not just to the tiny house movement, but to themes of sustainability, making choices from the heart, and the desire to simply show up in your own life and in the lives of others in a way that really matters.
Dee has inspired audiences across the country and around the world, speaking everywhere from local libraries to international business events. Her speaker's resume includes:
- Chris Guillebeau's perennially sold-out World Domination Summit
- The Vine, the inspirational kick-off event for the Pacific Coast Home Builder's Conference
- Keynote addresses at the Tiny House Jamboree and the Build Small Live Large Summit
- Sessions at the Tiny House Conference and The Tiny House Street Fair
Contact PAD today to inquire about having Dee speak at your event or to a private audience.